History of Acme
Acme officially became a Village on July 10, 1910. Over the century it has grown from a population of 190 to its current 653. The village offers a wide variety of amenities including educational, postal, and government services.
The name Acme means "highest point on the map" and is appropriate as the Village was located at the north end of the railway construction line map.
Located 75 km northeast of Calgary, the Village of Acme was incorporated on July 7, 1910, on the same day when the first passenger and freight train arrived. This was the first incorporated Village in the area of the M.D. of Kneehill.
The name "Acme" was given by CPR surveyors and was the highest point of the map used in the early days. Acme was the end of the CPR railroad until 1921 when the railway was extended to Drumheller.
Prior to 1912, the CPR railway was built from Calgary to Edmonton via Beiseker to Three Hills and from Calgary to Saskatoon via Drumheller. Acme was the point of supply for a large area. Many early family's histories mention stepping off the train at Acme prior to settling in the area.
Today, the Acme district is a rich agricultural area. Oil and natural gas are also produced in and around the Acme region.
Acme History Books can be purchased from the Village Office at any time for $20